Friday, May 20, 2005

Why this blog? Why Now?

I’ve been meaning to set up this blog for quite a while now. Intending it as a companion reader to my online book The Psychology of Cyberspace, I wanted to use the blog format as a way to give readers an inside view of a cyberpsychologist’s life and the day-to-day issues we deal with. What’s it like to study how people behave online? What issues are my colleagues and the media talking about?

If you’re looking for well-organized, carefully composed readings on the psychology of cyberspace, you might take a look at my book. This blog is going to be quite different. More spontaneous and casual. I’m hoping that will be the fun part of it.

So why did I wait until now, even though the blogosphere has been booming for quite a while (in cyberspace time, that is). I just needed a little boost to try something new. And I got it from John LeMasney, our residence instructional technology expert at Rider. At the end of his Faculty Development Day presentation on blogs, wikis, and podcasting, he told us to log into blogger and set up an account. So here I am…. Thanks for the boost, John.

I plan on going at a slow pace. After all, we’re very busy, multitasking people in cyberspace. But more on that later. I plan to post maybe once a week, while in-between trying to tune up this blog to make it another home away from home. Media transitions can be a challenge. But more on that later too.

So if this sounds interesting to you, come back in about a week, or plug me into your RSS feeder…. and I’ll see…. or rather READ you, later.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If your blog is anywhere near as successful as your sites on Rider's server, you're likely to be very busy! Glad to see you in the blogosphere, John.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Morgan W. Brown said...

Am glad you finally got your blog up because if it weren't for you blog, which I only came across due to Dr. John Grohol's mention of it on his WoP blog (here), I probably would not have learned about your online book The Psychology of Cyberspace -- which greatly appeals to me and, once I have more time, energy and online access, I'll check it out some more. Not only that but I also like that this blog will be a companion reader to it and more informal and less structure (something I like about blogs [some of the ones that tend to be more informal and less structured anyway]).

Welcome to the blogsphere. Better late than never.

Have already plugged your rss feed into my Bloglines feed reader blogroll of course.

11:33 AM  
Blogger John Suler said...

Thanks for the welcome, John and Morgan!

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi John, I just wanted to let you know that I have started my own blog , Psyber Psychology to document my own informal studies into cyberpsychology, using your Psychology of Cyberspace website as my textbook.

I had hoped to find your blog alive and buzzing here still, but it seems that nothing has been posted here since 2007. I will still be referring to your blog, and probably commenting and digging some of your old posts here while I do my studies.

Thank you for making your wealth of knowledge available to the online community. I hope to at least do it justice.

Kind regards,

Robert Frittmann.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home